Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

August 6, 2012

"Tempest" by Julie Cross

Sorry for being absent for the last couple of days! Went to the beach and had some fun ^_^ Anyway, back to this review. Another delayed during-my-hiatus review on this particularly buzzed about book. I've heard so many amazing things about it and couldn't wait to read it. Without further ado, my (rather short...) review for "Tempest"!

[Clickey the lovely cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Tempest (Tempest #1)
Author: Julie Cross
Publication: 2012, St. Martin's Griffin
Summary: The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future
....read more.


Review: "Tempest" is a fast-paced thriller, a guaranteed thirst-quenching and entertaining rollercoaster of a read. The plot is pretty unique and well-twisted with several good surprises and confusions tucked into odd corners. One of the better aspects of this first novel would be the strong and engaging cast of characters, ranging from the heroic Jackson to the witty Adam to the well-developed character of Jackson's father (who I ended up liking a lot, actually.)

Nicely shaped characters spring to life in the adventure of "Tempest". Overall, this book boasts great stamina in a constantly forward motion of plot that proves to be juicy and addicting. The end was surprisingly mature, as it is an unfulfilled conclusion for the relationship of Holly and Jackson, however it was extremely wise and after traveling with these characters, as a reader, you'll feel that you understand the decisions they made at the end. 

"Tempest" is a tempestuous ride (haha!), but I felt that as much as the journey was enjoyable and unrelenting, it did not hold enough adhesiveness on making its booming impact stay on the reader afterwards. Thus gave the impression of a quick-paced story that soon slips out of your mind after you turn the last page.

Ratings: ✰✰✰ 3.5 Tempestous Hoots

Final Notes: This was interesting for me, because it has been a while since I read a book that didn't stay in my mind nearly at all after I finished it. Perhaps it was just me, but as much as Jackson was fantastic throughout the book, I just found it really easy to lose him and his world afterwards, not like one of those books that have you moaning over it a week after you finish. Still, a pretty entertaining debut novel.

Thanks for reading!
Vivian

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I actually haven't been planning on getting & reading this one, I guess I made the right choice, I want the books I read to be unforgettable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, such a shame that this is one of those forgettable books. I love it when I connect with characters and stories; that I keep thinking about it. Still.. There is something fascinating about this story. You sure have a great taste of books ^^ I'm still glad that I found your blog, because you keep adding reviews about books I read or want to read :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I totally get what you're saying with this. I've had a few of those books that are great while reading, but once it's over? Well. Yeah. But still, I'm really happy to hear the journey while flipping pages is a constantly compelling one and I'm really curious about the conclusion you speak of. Plus, uh... TIME TRAVEL! BRODIE LOVE TIME TRAVEL!

    Fantastic review! Also: I totally envy that the weather is warm enough to go to the beach *shivers arounds teaming coffee in the morning chill*

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a pretty decent read. My copy has been collecting dust for a while now but I hope I can read it soon. I'm glad to hear the characters were an engaging bunch. Lovely review, Vivian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was curious about this one but finally didn't read it. I don't really know if it's for me but it's really interesting to learn more about it. thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see I am not the only one that didn't absolutely love this book. I completely agree with the last part of your review. I read it put it down and it wasn't a book that wanted to seep into my mind and start thinking about it or what could happen next. I do admit, this book had me choked up in some parts but for the most of it, I was bored. Great review with this one you definitely said it better than I could have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Tempest on my shelves for a while now and still have to read it. I thought it would be better than how you describe it in your review. I'm going to read it soon and find out for myself! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing this one at my library but I'm always unsure wheter or not I should pick it up. I think I'm going to now, becuase the plot does sound pretty good. Sorry to hear you didn't like everything about it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun read. Interesting comment you made about which books stay with you - I don't always find that the ones which stick in my head are the ones I *want* to, either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant review! This doesn't really look like my type of thing but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. I know what you mean about books just not having enough of an impact... a book is truly great if it does stick in your head.
    Thanks for sharing this review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review!! I've been wanting to read this one. sorry it didn't really stick with it, but it still seems like it would be enjoyable to read at the time.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wondering about this book for a while--I'm glad to hear your thoughts on it! The premise actually kind of reminds me of The Butterfly Effect... sorry it wasn't very memorable, but I loved your review! :)
    Fabulously written as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely review. I've seen this one around but not tempted to read it yet, but it sounds like a good one to get out the library later down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "a tempestuous ride" haha! I really liked this one it was one of the only time travel books I dared to read and i was impressed by how it was handled. I see what you mean though it's not mind-blowing but still entertaining. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review, Vivian! I've heard so many mixed reviews about this, still debating whether or not to read it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an okay book. Nothing huge but still enjoyable. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen so much of this around! It sounds like such a great book, but it's such a shame that the characters don't stay with you. ): but as long as we enjoy the characters as we're with them, that's something!

    Wonderful review, Vivian! I haven't been persuaded to buy this yet, but I'd definitely read it if it was given to me. Even if the characters aren't.... Substantial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic review Vivian!!! Awwwwww...it's a pity some of the characters aren't very memorable...but I'm still glad you enjoyed it overall! I reallyyyy can't wait to read this one day :) It sounds SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!