Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

August 16, 2012

"Scarlet" by A. C. Gaughen

[Clickey the lookin' sharp! cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Scarlet
Author: A. C. Gaughen
Publication: 2012, Walker Childrens
Summary: Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life
...read more


Review: Wow. I'm going to say that again. Wow. 

Driven and heart-stopping, "Scarlet" overflows with wicked action, vigorous determination and an all-too-awesome heroine. This is easily one of the most captivating and mind-blowing debuts of the year for me! "Scarlet" will cut out a rough yet furiously courageous tale in your heart, leaving behind brilliant scarlet, bleeding gashes outlined by the warmth of true friendships, loyalty, and love. 

Talented diction through the luring voice of our heroine unravels intriguingly through a surprisingly simple yet grabbing opening and transports the reader directly into the blazing core of an original take on the tale of Robin Hood. Never once do the characters fully rest, and neither will you as the reader! The thieves band of Robin, John, Much, and Will Scarlet  is wound impossibly tight, which makes the inner struggles as the characters try to comprehend their true feelings all the more heart-wrenching. 

I was mercilessly tugged along Scarlet's adventures and battles yet never once could I put her story down, blink, or even breath at times. Scarlet is strong with a fiery temper and a kind heart shown through her generous and sometimes random acts of kindness to the people of her land. She is incredibly well-written and brought to life and will become a heroine to be celebrated. 

Robin, John, and Much shine heroically with life just like Scarlet and the strings of fate binding these four together might as well be made of real gold. This book's journey seemed to last so long regardless of the propelling pace and the effect of that was how much closer I felt to Scarlet, the boys, and Ms. Gaughen's rustic and fantastically vivid world. 

I wanted to see the end of the pain, yet I savoured and enjoyed every moment this book had to offer. Ms. Gaughen seemed to be capable of accelerating and dragging out the pace of the story accordingly so to deliver the most of each punch. My heart pounded through all the way until the grand finale where it practically skipped a beat and stopped in the suspense. Deliciously dangerous and clever, well-written in a grasping sense, and colourfully brought to life, "Scarlet" is a sharply demanding and admirable tale.

Ratings: ✰✰✰✰✰ Sharp Hoots

Final Notes: I read two (TWO) books that I rated 5 Stars IN A ROW! My mind is all over the place right now. Anyway, definitely enjoyed this and if any of you like retellings, strong female protagonists, and a rustic sort of in-the-past setting, this is a great book to choose! "Scarlet" will definitely be a satisfying read, but I won't guarantee for everyone that it'll turn out to be a 5 Star book, Vivi just particularly liked this one. Now, I'm not comparing this book to Shannon Hale's books (which are my all time favourites for YA), but this book really struck the same sort of chord in essence. Probably why I loved it so much. Still, no doubt, hands down, one the best, best, best! debuts ever, and it's a fabulous stand-alone.
 
Thanks for reading!
Vivian

20 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you liked this, Vivian! I really enjoyed it too and especially loved the characters. I can't wait to read more from this author in the future. Another fantastic review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating about getting this, but I'm more tempted, especially since it's only 2.99 for the Kindle. I'm glad you've read a lot of great books in a short amount of time. That's how it's been for me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have me all pumped up and excited to read this now. I mean it was already pretty high on my TBR list because hey Robin Hood retelling with a twist but your passion and love from this is just jumping out of my screen at me ^_^.

    Sandy
    Scribing Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Viv, I'm so glad that you loved it as much as I did <3! Isn't Scarlet just one of the most wonderful characters out there? And of course; it's a retelling from Robin Hood and I love all fairytales ^^ Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. I'm going to say that again... WOW, Vivian!! Your review has made me SO much more excited that I ever thought possible for this book. And trust me, I was already eager to read it! Scarlet sounds like an amazing heroine and already my heart is carving a nook for her and her band of thieves. Those kind of characters that draw you in deep and force you along the journey with them are the best kind to read.

    Everything about this book screams EPIC in your review. I am gathering every damn owl on your blog and having them deliver a copy to my Owl Post very soon :P AMAZING REVIEW! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -whistles!- "Vivi-Owls, stand at attention! I need 3 brave owls to hunt down a copy of Scarlet and deliver it to Brodie!" LOL

      I'm glad my review made you want to read this ^o^ I think you'll like!

      Delete
  6. It's wonderful when you get to read two 5 star books in a row. Well, from what you said this is a must read, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is a fantastic review Vivian. The cover of this one has always caught my eye, but I never have picked it up for some reason. This review makes me feel like an idiot for that! I really will be bumping this up my TBR now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg I can't believe I haven't read this book already! IT sounds amazing and incredibly addicting! I really have to get myself a copy. I love Robin Hood, and this cover!! THIS COVER!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGGGGG THIS SOUNDS SOOOOOOO AMAAAAZINGGG! I NEED to meet Scarlet alreadyyy! She sounds EXACTLY like the kind of kick-ass heroine I LOVE!! Whoaaaa one of the BEST debuts!! I'M IN. Definitely will be reading this one day! Fantastic review Viv!! The more I read your review the more desperate I am to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing review as always, Vivi!! <33 :D I swear, I just love reading your posts. You have beautiful writing, you know. (:
    I have been wanting to read Scarlet for a while now, I don't know why I haven't! Definitely going too soon, now. :D Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhhhhhh, now I just need this book! It looks absolutely AMAZING! I especially like the concept of the main character - I LOVE strong heroines!

    Sorry about this comment, I just get so hyper when I think of this book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really good! It's so awesome you enjoyed it :)

    Montana The Book Belles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh I remember hearing about this book a while before and shrugging it off, but now I REALLY need to go scour my local library for this book! Scarlet sounds like an awesome character and your review is just fabulous,as usual of course, Vivi!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't this book fantastic!? I was so surprised by it. Just, agh. No words.

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you liked this! Your enthusiasm really comes across! I have an ebook version of Scarlet but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm glad to hear that the band are all really tight-knit and loyal to each other, though. That's exactly what I was hoping for from this book, so it's good to hear. :) Fabulous review, Vivian! And thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, I love the owls in your header. Too cute!

      Delete
  16. To be honest I kind of skipped over this book cause the cover doesn't do much for me lol But it sounds amazing. I love exciting books and Scarlett sounds kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, and yeah, I loved it, too, but I gave it 4.5 :) Why? Because of John, he irritated me so much, and yeah, I didn't expect the triangle, and I was annoyed by that fact, but everything else I loved, so I loved the book, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, too bad John didn't rub the right way ^^; I found him quite amusing XD

      Delete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!