Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

August 19, 2012

| Oldies+Minis | "Bad Girls Don't Die" by Katie Alender


 



[Clickey the cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Bad Girls Don't Die (Bad Girls Don't Die #1)
Author: Katie Alender
Publication: 2009, Hyperion
Summary: In Alender's character-driven debut, outsider Alexis notices strange things occurring in her house and with her younger sister, Kasey. Alexis soon realizes that her life--and her family's--is creeping from dysfunction into danger, in this gripping new thriller....read more 

Mini Review / "Notes": 

A haunting journey that has some great, unexpected turns and wild cards. Light romance is nicely woven in to keep it appealing. Sometimes an uneven pace of events and the characters get a bit unlikeable. The spook factor should be praised, though. It was mild, but at the same time, overwhelms and stains the story. All in all, Alender presents a solid journey, which resolves peacefully and happily.
  
Looking Back: 

This is the first time I've decided to go backwards in my reviews notebook and pull up an oldie for you guys ^o^ As you can see...back when I first started making note of which books I read or liked, etc., I only wrote a teeny paragraph of my thoughts. 

The good thing about this is that I can now look back upon this book about 1-2 years later and tell you guys what I remember! 

To be honest, this one wasn't a very memorable read for me. Even after finishing it, I had already begun to forget about the characters and the story. Now, I unfortunately don't remember a single thing. I do remember that the story and plot itself, however, was enjoyable and decent enough. Not spectacular, but enough to have the reader hooked for the most part. I wouldn't say the book was flat because Ms. Alender did have some nice play-ups on the fear factor to some degree. It wasn't hide-under-your-covers scary, but it was definitely a bit eery. I liked it and had fun with it, but it didn't impress me too much.

Ratings: ✰✰✰ Ghostly Hoots

Thanks for reading!
Vivian

15 comments:

  1. I love eerie/creepy books! It's a shame this one wasn't memorable enough though... It has such a promising premise. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, Rachel dear, for the most part, the "wasn't memorable" part applied to me looking back at this at least over a year later ^_^; if you'd like a ghostly read, this one's still a nice bet ^_~

      Delete
  2. I was curious about this one but always forgot to try it. Now I think I'll wait a little more as I have many books to read that seem better. But thank you for the little notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one awhile back as well, and I can remember feeling quite similar to how you feel about it. I found the story fun and interesting but overall, it wasn't my most favorite book out there. I have yet to read the sequels though...have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo! Haven't read them either. I actually had NO idea this was a part of a series until after I joined Goodreads, haha! (GR's really great for things like that >_<)

      Delete
  4. Oh! Wished you enjoyed it more cuz it actually sounds interesting :) I'm still gonna add it to my list but I guess somewhere at the bottom ;) But thanks for sharing and brilliant review!
    xoxo, Mariam
    Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a shame you didn't enjoy this more and that it didn't strike a more memorable chord. I've seen this in my local bookshop and was fairly intrigued by the synopsis but I don't think I'll be checking it out anymore :( How annoying the plot wasn't that spectacular and the characters were a little unlikeable.

    Great review, Vivian <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of creepy books! And this sounds like something you wouldn't want to read before bed...

    It's such a shame this wasn't memorable at all. ): Do you think you'll be reading the sequels?

    Lovely and honest review, Vivian!(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is new to me, haven't heard of it before. I'm always on the look out for something creepy, it's too bad you didn't enjoy it more, or remember a bit more about the characters and such!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of creepy and scary books. What a shame that it wasn't a memorable read, because it sounds really good. And I like the covers of this book and the sequels. I still want to read them; an enjoyable and decent story and plot doesn't sound too bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a shame you can't remember much. That probably says quite a bit about this book. Still, it does sounds very creepy and interesting. The cover is pretty cool too. Lovely review, Vivian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I love a good eery book! Sorry to hear you didn't really like it! I really like the cover though--it'd definitely catch my eye in a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome review!!!I am not a huge fan of scary books so I do not think this is a book I would enjoy! However it does seem interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, I remember reading this in 8th grade! Hahaha, I remember thinking it was soo creepy. I barely remember it now though so I'm right there with ya. C:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, 8th grade?! XD I think I read this in gr. 9...back then, all I read were fantasties and stuff. I remember looking warily at the contemporary-looking cover >_<

      Delete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!