Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

July 13, 2012

"A Temptation of Angels" by Michelle Zink

Hope everyone's all having a safe and happy Friday the 13th! I've been rather lucky today, so I'll be super gushy for tomorrow's haul post, haha! Thanks for stopping by, and here's my belated review for amazing Michelle's latest book (finally!).

Title: A Temptation of Angels
Author: Michelle Zink
Publication: 2012, Dial Books for Young Readers

Summary: Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting...
read more on Goodreads 


Review: This is a profoundly captivating piece of work! The whole book throbs with love, adventure, and purposeful life, all intertwined in a gorgeously told tale. 

Even with the use of 3rd person POV, Michelle draws the reader in to almost a frighteningly close extent to the beautifully portrayed aspects of this novel. Helen proves herself as a worthy and admirable protagonist with a cleverly concocted personality complete with bravery, kindness, determination and tenacity. Her main love interest, Griffin, is also vividly portrayed and it is near impossible not to fall in love with him! 

One minor negative tendency found was that I felt so close to the characters and story that the occasional reminder of 3rd person jolted me out of a trance. I felt as though Helen's presence through 3rd person is sometimes not strong enough.

The unfolding and propelling of this book was stunning. You begin knowing just as little as Helen knows, and slowly uncover the pieces and put them together alongside her. It was an extremely mesmerizing page turner that left you savoring each and every magical word and moment  


Rating: ✰✰✰✰ 4 Graceful Hoots

Final Notes:  I definitely enjoyed this. Even though the title shouts "Angels!!!!", the angel theme is actually incredibly subtle. Not that I minded, since the plot had great pacing and Helen was a strong main character to follow along with. You'll definitely feel really close to her! And of course, Griffin will make you melt ^_~

Vivian

8 comments:

  1. This book sounds really great! I must admit, there are VERY few books out there with 3rd person POV, so I think that it's really neat that the author chose that POV, even if it did jolt you out of the story at times, Vivian. I also like how the angel theme is subtle, the cover makes it seem like it's only about angels. It's nice to hear that it's not. =)

    Fabulous review, Vivian! <3 I'm definitely going to have to get a copy of this one!

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh! This sounds like a good book. And I agree 3rd POV is very hard to achieve, but kudos that she attempted.

    Great review!

    -dee
    wellpinaroseonyournose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Vivi! This book sounds amazing! <3 I'm really glad that you love this book because I haven't seen many positive reviews on this one. x) Thank you for mentioning the 3rd person POV! I usually avoid them because I tend to feel disconnected from the main character. So excited that you like the POV most of the time! :)

    Fantastic review, Vivian! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vivian,

    Nice review! Am going to put it on my TBR list.
    Found your post on bookblogs and am now following under Nette. Please check me out at http://nettesbookshelf.blogspot.com and give a follow as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Viiiiiv, this book sounds amazing. I still remember that we read The prophecy of the sisters almost at the same time - and we both loved it - so I want to read this one ^^ very, very much. I didn't know about several POV's, but I quite like that. Amazing review aaaaaaand:

    You get the versatile blogger award from me!
    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.nl/2012/07/award-4-versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been really wanting to read this one. I do hate third person POV though. A few times I have been able to get past it but the writing has to be really good. Sounds like this one might and the characters sound amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, another Vivian!!! :)

    I LOVED this book, such an awesome surprise too! I couldn't put it down! Isn't it crazy how it just sucked you in & before you knew it, you were almost done with the book! Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was iffy on this book, but I am glad that you enjoyed it. I should definitely give it a shot now!

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!