Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

July 22, 2012

"Hades" by Alexandra Adornetto




With the release of "Heaven" coming up soon, I thought I should post this one! Enjoy!
You can find my review of "Halo", Book #1, here.

[Clickey the lovely cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Hades (Halo #2)
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publication:2011, Feiwel & Friends

Summary: Bethany Church is an angel sent to Earth to keep dark forces at bay. Falling in love was never part of her mission, but the bond between Beth and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier Woods, is undeniably strong. But even Xavier’s love, and the care of her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep Beth from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, the demon Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly, her loved ones, as well....read more

Review: To say that I am thoroughly smitten and captured by Adornetto's radiant story-telling would be an understatement. Never have I felt more akin to a YA author's fantasy-induced writing than this! Adding another tasty and immensely entertaining layer to this pulsing trilogy, "Hades" brings back our beloved earth-bound angels and their human friends, along with the enchantingly dark villain in tow. 


From a work of fiction, "Hades" let me escape once more to a vividly created world where Adornetoo, through Bethany, spins a ravishingly exciting and satisfying tale with all elements of love, faith, and more. This time, however, Adornetto proves that the universe of her trilogy is not all pretty and nice, as she unravels gory scenes in great contrast to her first book. If I were to imagine "Halo" in beautifully elegant shades of pastels, then "Hades" would be seen coloured with majestically dark swirls of black and deep purple!


From a more technical viewpoint, Adornetto still impresses with her skilful diction for someone her age. I've noted the addition of expansive and maturing vocabulary, however, it somehow carried a feeling of a rocky surface for me. It gave me the feeling that the author was trying a bit too hard and overdid it at times.


Any flaws that materialized were soon drowned out by the eagerness and passion in this book, yet I am still amused to find and enjoy the aura of naivety present as I feel even more connected to this author. It has been awhile that I have felt this much love for a trilogy, and I greatly look forward to "Heaven". "Hades" brought more fantastical landscapes into the readers' views, and it strengthened the magnetic pull of readers' affection to the series, hopefully grounding Adornetto to concoct a breathtaking finale for our beloved angel and her worlds. 


Ratings: ✰✰✰ 3.5 Enthusiastic Hoots

Final Notes: This is a really old review, so I went back and edited bits of it as I typed it up. "Hades" was super entertaining and really romantic in that naive, princess-y way! To be honest, it was a bit messy at times, but it's one of those books that you devour anyway in about a couple of hours. Plus, the ending's a horrid cliffhanger, so if you have yet to read this one, now's a fabulous time because you will soon be able to read "Heaven" as well!


Thanks for reading!

Vivian

14 comments:

  1. Great review! I know what you mean when you feel the author is trying to hard. Sometimes, I find, the details can drag on a bit due to this. And aren't cliffhangers just so...mean?! :3

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! I'm away to find out more about this series! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Hades. Jake was such a great villain. He was sexy and I felt bad for him at times. Xavier is such a sweetie though. What an ending! Can't wait for Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book yet because I was kind of meh about Halo but the sequel sounds like it was much better! And if Heaven is coming out soon I will have to check it out =D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many people weren't pleased with Halo so I was hesitant to start on the series, but your review has convinced me otherwise!! I should seriously grab my book card and make a dash for the bookstore!! >)

    Thanks for visiting my blog, I have already joined as a proud follower of your blog!

    -Alicia
    bookaworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review, Vivian! I've been reading some really cool reviews of this book, and I think it's about time that I pick up Halo! Plus I'm a huge fan of Greek myths, and retellings, so I'm super surprised I haven't read these two books yet! Thanks for putting them back on my radar, sweetie. :) And AAAW I love books that are romantic in naive princess ways... they're my favorite kind!! :') Thanks for the lovely review, V!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember passing this because I think it's too cliched, but I think I might be horribly wrong! You make this series sounds wonderful, Vivian! x) Sometimes I enjoyed princess-y book, because who doesn't want to live in world where everything is romantic and beautiful? (I DO! Sign me up! :P) Anyway, hopefully you can read Heaven soon, because the cliffhanger must be killing you! :D

    Beautiful review as always, Vivian! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore your blog theme. :)

    Great review. I'm yet to read Halo, but I will get around to it soon. I know there is a lot of mixed reviews for the books in this series, so I'd like to make my own decision. I'm glad you enjoyed this one for the most part, Vivian!

    Steph @ Stepping Out Of The Page
    P.S. I also have an International Giveaway on at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hadn't heard of this series before, sound like it's worth a look at. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that the flaws of this book don't stick too long, which is often the problem with some books. I seriously NEED to start this series. Arghhh. It's been taunting me, never within my reach :'(( Thanks for the lovely review!! I'm a new follower :)

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't started this series yet as I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it, but I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one! I love story-telling that really sucks you in and from your descriptions of this novel, it sounds like one I definitely need to check out. Great review! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I skimmed over your review because I haven't read Halo yet, I had heard that the writing style in these books could be a little rocky, like she went a little bonkers with the Thesarus or something. I might give Halo a try and see what I think. Great review, love your enthusiasm for these books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is true that she went bonkers with the thesaurus, haha! That was the major down-side. Then again, Halo is also a love/hate book, so if Halo's good to you, then Hades will be enjoyable as well!

      Delete
  12. Fantastic review, Vivian. This is the first review I've read for this book and I do have to say it's making me consider giving this series another try. The first book wasn't quite to my taste, but I might give this one a shot when I can. It's always good when you can read a book through in a few hours. :) I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard a lot about this trilogy. It sounds really good :) Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!