Featured Review: "Talon" by Julie Kagawa »

July 29, 2012

"Anna Dressed in Blood" by Kendare Blake

Finally! I remember picking this one up and just gaping at that mesmerizing and gorgeous cover for like, 5 minutes...a bit of a delayed review, but better late than never!

[Clickey the lovely cover for Goodreads!]

Title: Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1)
Author: Kendare Blake
Publication: 2011, Tor Teen
Summary: Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before
....read more


Review: A romping good adventure, this was! This book is full of heart-racing moments and action-movie-worthy scenes. Complete with a strongly driven pace, a refreshing male narration from Cas, and a great many of other characters, "Anna Dressed in Blood" made for an awesome and epic ride!

The reader is instantly thrown in and up close to Cas's life as a ghostbuster....? (okay, moving on -blush-) from the very first page and the plot moves quite rapidly from there. Cas is a very likeable hero: able to fight, good at what he does, good-looking, and not without a sense of humour. However, the main jewel of this book, I felt, was Anna herself. She was a very vividly created character that really inches up on you and before you know it, you'll be falling into her tangled world just as quickly as Cas did.

There were instances where something less convincing happens, as this book is not flawless, but the sizzling energy and pacing definitely tones all awkward spots down. There are enough flashback moments to colour in all the blank areas in the background of the plot, adding a great texture to the overall story.

The narration of Cas is incredibly funny and witty as well, so readers are in capable hands as he guides you through this awesome adventure! Although the gorgeous cover implies a chilling tale, the creep-factor is barely there, not that it lessened the impact of the book in any way. This is overall just one fast, rocky ride, complete with a slightly bitter and sweet ending so hang on tight and have fun!


Ratings: ✰✰✰✰ 4 Awesome Hoots

Final Notes: I really liked this! This is the best ghostbusting (omg, that word is stuck on me...sorry if it's not the correct term) YA book since I read "Deception" by Lee Nichols (which was also just as epic, if not a bit more). Anna as a character herself is fantastic, and having a male POV every once in a while is also great! With the next book coming along soon, hope you guys will also enjoy reading this one!


Thanks for reading!
Vivian 

p.s. A mini update! I've recently finished the entire The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa (-sniff- It's over... T_T) and I've yet to write a single review. However, will be getting on to that and it will be a 4-part series sort of thing, so look forward to that!

19 comments:

  1. How awesome that it has a male POV... I have to read this one! the ghost thing sounds really interesting.
    Great review.
    Ruty
    Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review!! :)
    It's been a while since I've read a book written in the male POV so this ought to be refreshing! My friend (ironically named Anna) read this and loved it!

    Also, AHHHHHH you're done with the Iron Fey?! Can't wait to hear what you think of it! ARE YOU PSYCHED FOR THE LOST PRINCE?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESYESYESYESYES I AM!! -jumps up and down-

      Delete
  3. Awesome review! I got this one on my Kobo a few months ago when it was really cheap because I'd heard such awesome things about it!! Woo Hoo, I definitely need to get to this one and soon!!

    Laura @ The Little Pink Book Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having a male point of view every once in a while! I really liked that about this book as Cas was so easy to like. His humorous personality won me over straight away. Great review, Vivian! I hope we can both enjoy book two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian,

    Lovely review ;)

    "This book is full of heart-racing moments and action-movie-worthy scenes." - definitely my kind of book to read! Oh, I will have to check this one out. My TBR is overflowing but I think it can still manage. I mean, it has to. Haha!

    By the way, I'm Ara @ My Book and My Coffee. New follower via GFC, Networked Blogs, Linky and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant review, Vivian! I have a love/hate relationship with male narrators. Some of them, as hard as I try, I just can't get on with. I'm glad to hear this isn't the case with Cas. And he's witty? Yay! Witty characters are always fun!
    So glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this sounds really good. I like that it's fast pace and that the narration is witty. I like a good laugh while also being scared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so looking forward to read your reviews about The Iron Fey! Since I just started to upload my reviews about them ^^ Shall we link to each other back? ^^

    This book sounds really good. 1. Male POV. 2. A girl who murders everybody at her Victorian place. Hell yeah :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!!! I am so glad you loved this! Cas was a brilliant protagonist and I love that he offered something so refreshing compared to other books. Plus, I love my fellow girls, I do, but sometimes a change is needed :) Anna was brilliantly layered and explored, I love what Kendare did with her. Amazing review, Vivian! Excited for Girl of Nightmares!

    And eeee! Iron Fey! Can't wait for your overall review, once you've come down from the emotional high *sniffles*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book, although still haven't review it.

    I actually prefer male PoV :) and yeah, it wasn't really creepy, but the best thing about this book was Anna herself & I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Girl of Nightmares!

    I still haven't read Deception, although it's been on my wishlist for a long time now, but hopefully I'll get it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I might be the last person in this universe who haven't read this book yet!! Although I really want to give it a try, the gorgeous yet eerie yet horrifying cover of this book always gives me mixed feeling! I think I need to overcome my fear of the cover first before I can enjoy this book LOL! xD But I'm excited that you really enjoyed this book, Vivi! I heard Cas is such an awesome heroine! <3 I hope you can read the sequel soon! x) Hehe, I LOVE it that you call Cas a ghostbuster! x)

    Absolutely amazing review, Vivian!! <3 I always enjoy your reviews - they are cheerful, bubbly, and cute, just like you! x)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna was definitely a vividly portrayed character! This book was a fun read...glad you enjoyed it!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excited to see your review of the Iron Fey series! I liked this book a lot. I agree that it sometimes felt unrealistic or awkward, but most of it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been seeing this Anna Dressed in Blood all over the blogosphere, but didn't really pay it any attention! *Slaps forehead* your review has me wanting it like yesterday. Sound fabulous: "The narration of Cas is incredibly funny and witty as well, so readers are in capable hands as he guides you through this awesome adventure!" Ah, I like a touch of humour :-). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds intriguing. I haven't read many ghost stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Anna Dressed in Blood. I think Cas is one of my favorite YA boys of all time. He's just so snarky and sarcastic, but also brave and smart. Love him! So glad you enjoyed this book. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Girl of Nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for 4 hoots! I really enjoyed this one. I am so excited for Girl of Nightmares and see what happens next. Plus I am totally in love with these covers.

    I still have not read The Iron Fey series *facepalm* I know that there is a boxed set coming out next month?! and I am hoping to pick that up and read them all at once. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna Dressed In Blood sounds really good, I've heard so many good things about it :) I still have to read The Iron Fey series, but I really liked The Immortal Rules. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

If you read this post, please, by all means, leave me a comment! They make me very happy, and I will almost always get back to you! Thank you for reading!